Position: Marketing & Communications Intern
Term: 18 weeks (4.5 months)
Location: Theatre 20 Office, 66 Lesmill Road, Toronto, ON
Salary: Internship honorarium ($250/wk for 18 weeks = $4,500)
Application Deadline: Friday, July 13, 2012
Start Date: Monday, July 23, 2012
End Date: Friday, Nov. 23, 2012
Theatre 20, Toronto’s artist-led, story-driven musical theatre company, is looking for an energetic and exceptionally motivated individual to fill this exciting internship opportunity. The Marketing & Communications Intern role represents an incredible opportunity to participate in the execution of the first full production of Theatre 20’s inaugural season, BLOODLESS: THE TRIAL OF BURKE AND HARE.
Working alongside the General Manager to support the management team and in consultation with related Board Committees, the Marketing & Communications Intern will gain professional experience in various capacities including the development, planning, organizing and execution of marketing projects and campaigns as well as communications initiatives (PR/publicity, group sales, marketing partner benefits, etc.).
Tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to: administrative work including research, copy writing and database administration, coordination of marketing plans, and acting as liaison between Theatre 20 and various stakeholders. The Intern will have the opportunity to be involved with all marketing and communications planning and execution for BLOODLESS, and will be part of a dynamic creative environment.
The Marketing & Communications Intern is expected to work part-time according to a mutually agreed upon schedule (minimum of 30 hours/week). However, the Intern’s full availability will be expected for certain meetings and special events, including some evenings and weekends.
Theatre 20 internships offer immense opportunities for professional growth and development. Throughout their residency, interns receive:
• Professional development in their selected field through hands-on experience
• Networking opportunities (both local and national)
• Reimbursement for pre-approved out of pocket expenses related to the duties of the Internship
• Access to dedicated mentors within Canada’s theatre community and other industries including, in this case, communications and marketing
• Free tickets and other perks depending on span of internship
• Opportunities to give and receive feedback in an educational and supportive setting
• A letter of reference upon Internship completion
– Availability of 3-4 days/week (30 hours/week)
– Current student or recent graduate in marketing, communications, public relations, arts management, or other related post-secondary program of study;
– Excellent organizational and information management skills;
– Strong time management skills and ability to prioritize a multitude of tasks
– Ability to work both independently and in a team environment;
– Strong initiative and self-motivation;
– Positive attitude and strong interpersonal communication skills;
– Highly developed research skills (both off and online);
– Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
– Accuracy and attention to detail;
– Passion for the performing arts (specifically theatre/musical theatre)
– Willingness to work occasional evenings
– Interest in Theatre 20’s mission and activities;
– Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
– Office experience is an asset
– Previous experience working in a creative/arts environment is an asset
– Familiarity with both Mac and PC platforms is an asset
Maggie Fairs, Manager, Marketing Communications at National Public Relations
Judith John, VP, Communications and Public Affairs at Sick Kids Foundation
Iris Nemani, Producer of Arts & Culture, TO2012 Pan Am Games
Jim Roe, General Manager, St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
Catharine Saxberg, Executive Director, Canadian Music Publishers’ Association
Rosie Shaw, General Manager, Theatre 20
Lori Willcox, President, 3 Guineas Business Solutions
Please submit a letter of interest, CV and two writing samples by Friday, July 13 with the subject line “Marketing & Communications Internship”. Applications will be accepted by email only, Attention: Rosie Shaw, General Manager, Theatre 20, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. All applications are considered confidential.